With the aim of positioning HIPRA as a company specialized in vaccines, which is developing the first Spanish vaccine against Covid-19, the HIPRA Committee of experts on the Covid-19 Vaccine was set up on July 8, coinciding with the first work meeting that took place at HIPRA headquarters.
The Committee was created with the aim of accompanying HIPRA in defining the strategy and positioning of its adjuvanted recombinant protein vaccine; to develop and validate a technical dossier to reinforce the legitimacy of the vaccine based on the benefits that it contributes within booster vaccination programs; and to demonstrate its therapeutic usefulness.
The Committee is made up of experts from different fields of medicine such as immunology, preventive medicine, public health, pediatrics or nursing, all of them with extensive and well-established careers in the field of human health at the national and international levels.
The scientific coordinator of this Committee is Dr. Javier Castrodeza, Professor of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, former General Secretary for Health and former President of the Spanish Agency for Medicines and Health Products (AEMPS). The team is formed by:
- Dr. Pilar Arrazola, specialist in Preventive Medicine and Public Health at the Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre (Madrid). Coordinator of the Advisory Committee of Experts on Vaccines of the Community of Madrid.
- Dr. Carmen Cámara, secretary of the Spanish Society of Immunology (SEI) and Clinical Immunologist at Hospital Universitario La Paz (Madrid).
- Dr. José María Eiros Bouza, professor of Microbiology. Virologist. Head of the Microbiology Service of the Hospital del Río Hortega in Valladolid. Director of the WHO National Influenza Center in Valladolid.
- Dr. María Fernández Prada, medical specialist in Preventive Medicine and Public Health. Vaccine Unit of the Hospital Universitario Central de Asturias. PhD and associate professor at the University of Oviedo. Spokesperson for training in vaccines of the Spanish Association of Vaccinology (AEV).
- Dr. Angel Gil de Miguel, professor of Preventive Medicine and Public Health at Universidad Rey Juan Carlos.
- Dr. Júlia Vergara-Alert, graduated in Veterinary Medicine and Doctor in Medicine and Animal Health (UAB). Principal Investigator of the zoonotic coronavirus group at IRTA-CReSA and member of the WHO COVID-19 animal model study group.
- Mrs. Gloria Mirada, nurse. Treasurer of the Spanish Association of Vaccinology (AEV). Member of the Board of Trustees of the Spanish Foundation for Vaccinology. Expert in vaccinology of the Public Health Agency of Catalonia.
- Dr. Fernando Moraga, pediatrician. Vice President of the Spanish Association of Vaccinology (AEV).
- Dr. Daniel Ocaña, family doctor at Centro de Salud Algeciras-Norte. Committee of Experts of the Andalusian Vaccine Plan (ANDAVAC).
- Dr. Jaime Pérez, medical specialist in Preventive Medicine and member of the Board of Directors of the Spanish Association of Vaccinology (AEV). Coordinator of the GIV-Covid Comprehensive Vaccination Management Group of Murcia.
- Dr. Joan Puig Barberá, family doctor and doctor in Public Health. Senior Research Scientific Adviser. Coordinator of the Vaccine Research Unit of the Valencian Community. FISABIO.
The creation of this Committee of experts is another step in the HIPRA project regarding its Covid-19 vaccine, which is in the final phase of the European Medicines Agency (EMA) Rolling Review, a previous step to obtain its Conditional marketing authorization.